Wednesday, December 23, 2015

Hannah Updates

We’ve had a few appointments before the end of the year including a recipe for our puréed diet for Hannah - woo!

I took Hannah for both physical and speech therapies last Friday. Physical therapy is still a slow road. The PT was trying to push Hannah over from a sitting position and Hannah was sturdy! Strong core. 

Still working on those arms and getting her onto all fours. Our sitter has said Hannah is pushing up on her arms from her belly which is a great step!

Hannah working on her bench sitting!


We have been trying to hold her up to stand on her feet... she can sort of bear weight, but falls fairly fast. No inclination to actually STEP. It’s interesting how, again, while this is intuitive for most kids, others can have a very hard time even coordinating to lift a foot and move it forward.

Hannah’s eating has really progressed well! I would estimate she’s eating half of the calories she needs per day [my guess]. Some things still don’t quite stay in [I’m lookin’ at you, cottage cheese!]. But really, everything is staying in now and I’ve had to send more food to the sitter. She probably eats a good 1/4 cup of food every night at dinner. 

We finally received the purée recipe - moving away from those expensive shakes with weird ingredients! *I say expensive because we’re being charged an excessive amount of money through Children’s Home Care after we were lead to believe it would be covered. It’s not. To the naked eye, it seems they are either upcharging or charging us for quantities they never provided.  :: end rand ::

I feel better knowing Hannah is being tubed mostly whole foods now.

We were supposed to work our way up to FIVE feedings a day - about 1/2 a cup per tube feeding. Which negates the progress we made with speech therapy where we took a feeding AWAY to make Hannah hungry; therefore she seems to be eating more. 

Net: we’ve kept to four of these feedings a day and Hannah will still get whiney because she’s too full! Our ST told us to go with our gut [har har] and keep the amount down. 

I took a photo of the recipe - keep in mind this is not for flavor! Pure nutrition. My only problem is the strained meat - really? If it’s just for protein, I’m pretty certain all that plain yogurt will suffice. Those jarred meats have reassured me that my gag reflex still works.



2 comments:

  1. can you make your own the pureed veggies and meats vs using the stage 2 stuff? it's not that hard, for the most part just steaming veggies, and you probably wouldn't gag over the meat so much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I could - but I don't mind the jarred veggies - it's easy to find organic veg [which is important to me] and frankly, I don't have the energy/time - and I only have two kiddos! : ) I am going to ask about the point of the meat though... seems unnecessary - whatever nutrients they think it has can most likely be found in other foods.

      Delete